Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Gary Ford and his pens

This is an update on Gary Ford, the son of Patsy Ford the daughter of Evelyn Montgomery Burris. He sent an email out to some of the family giving an update on his pen business. I thought maybe the rest of the family would enjoy learning a little more about Gary’s business so he wrote the following intro.


I started making pens about 15 years ago. It was supposed to be a warm up exercise for the making of (turning) wood bowls. I took 20 pens and samples of about 30 different kinds of wood I had at the time to a craft show at our church. I sold all 20 pens and took orders for 186 more. I was shocked and over whelmed. I did finally turn a bowl a couple of years ago, only one. I have made over 4000 pens and have over 200 kinds of wood. I am able to sell enough to break even and even make a little profit. I give quit a few away to the high school seniors that I volunteer with and various community service projects our church is involved with. This is shaping up to be a very good pen sales year so far. I think it has a little to do with how many I gave to the church this year.

Here is the letter he sent to some of the family.

Just thought I would shoot everyone a little note about what has been going on with my little pen business. I had entered three pens at the Del Mar (San Diego county) Fair. Didn't get any ribbons this year. Oh well just gives me something to shoot for next year. Pen sales are way up this year already much to my surprise. This could be a stellar year. I think people are tired of not being able spend the money they would like to or they are just being a little more practical with their spending. Either way works for me. I'm selling 3 to 7 hundred dollars worth every week now. I'm not bragging more like shocked and amazed.

The latest thing I have been able to do is make a thank-you gift for all our summertime guest speakers at Shadow Mountain community church. I have also challenged our entire high school including the staff and interns. If they will memorize Psalm 1 they will get the same pen. It is made of Olive wood from Bethlehem with a Bloodwood cross inlayed into it. Last night our guest speaker was Col. Oliver North (incredible) I had made a very special pen for him. I was given the opportunity to meet Oliver between congressmen and state senators. What a neat man and what an incredible service he does for our troops and vets. Can't say enough.


You can learn more about Gary and his family by looking up Lakeside Fords on FaceBook. You can see more about his pens at http://www.justthewood.com/. I also found this interesting article about Gary and his pens http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5681254/works_of_art_in_wood_pens_by_san_diego.html?cat=30

No comments:

Post a Comment